Sunday 6 July 2014

The Key to Time: Spotlight on "The Stones of Blood"


The problem I knew I was going to have with doing posts about the stories that I saw after The Invasion of Time, namely just the first six stories that followed The Invasion of Time (which were, The Ribos Operation, The Pirate Planet, The Stones of Blood, The Androids of Tara, The Power of Kroll and The Armageddon Factor) was that I could only remember seeing the first two episodes of The Ribos Operation, therefore I could do a proper post about the first time that I saw it. With The Pirate Planet I remember seeing parts 1, 2 and 3 but I missed seeing part 4 the first time round. Then there's The Androids of Tara and The Power of Kroll. The Androids of Tara, I missed completely the first time round and with The power of Kroll I only saw the last eight minutes or so. With The Armageddon Factor, I can’t remember if I saw all of it, some of it or just the last seven or so minutes of The Armageddon Factor part six. That why for this post I have chosen to focus on the third story out of six Key to Time stories, The Stones of Blood as it was the only story out of the six Key to Time stories that I can remember seeing all of.


When I first saw The Stones of blood I thought at first that I was about to be treated to another historical Doctor Who story, it starts with an satanic looking sacrifice at night and then moves to the next day when the Tardis materialises near a stone circle, which quite naturally The Doctor and Romana then proceed to investigate. They then meet present day (at the time) elderly archaeologist Professor Emilia Rumford and her assistant Vivien Fay, who are surveying the stone circle. if you've never seen The Stones of Blood before, you will probably assume that the story is going to be a completely Earth-bound horror story with human sacrificing druids who think their working for a goddess and blood drinking moving rock monsters but in fact it turns out that the goddess that the druids are worshipping in fact of course really an alien and so are the blood drinking rocks and at a certain point in the story (I won’t tell you when) the action then shifts to a spaceship suspended in hyperspace. All in all when I first saw this story I loved it, it had everything that I had loved about the past several story that I had seen by this point rolled in to one, horror, monsters, sudden/unexpected twists in the plot, great characters and a great story. Even after having bought and seen the whole of this season a lot later after seeing it many times, The Stones of Blood is still my favourite story out of this season. The Stones of Blood is classic Doctor Who.

In my next post I'll be talking about the next story I saw after The stones of Blood, which was City of Death.


No comments:

Post a Comment